Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Bill Maher and Religulous

Religulous is derived from both: Religion and Ridiculous.
Anyone who knows me, knows that I've been dying to see this movie since the very second I heard of its existence. I love Bill Maher, he's my sarcastic equal, we share a lot of the same views, if left alone in a room, we'd go crazy with our cynicism and worldly debates. If anything, we need more people like him, people who contradict based on facts, shaking things up with humor, someone who isn't afraid to fight against an idea just because its popular... who likes normal anyway?

This is a provocative documentary going against one of the most powerful ideas of all, religion. That's what Maher wants to get across through his film, and after all, it is his film... that it's just that, an idea, just a thought, no facts, no evidence, something that over the years has gained notoriety so it must be true, right? Maher considers religion and faith to be detrimental to the progress of humanity, a lot fantasy and nonsense, but he also prides himself on the fact that he doesn't know, he's selling the idea of doubt not certainty.

Religion is considered a never ending battle with large masses of passionate people involved. I grew up without religion in my life, a personal choice, a choice everyone should be allowed to make for themselves. However, when you live in a state like Utah, arguably one of the most controversial places concerning religion, the topic has the power to surround you. Something I found priceless during the film was when Bill Maher and his film crew are in Salt Lake City, on the grounds of the Mormon Temple, when they begin filming they are quickly thrown off the grounds by what they lovingly refer to as the "Mormon Fuzz" they believe that they didn't look Mormon enough, to be there.This film brings humor to a lot of hush-hush topics, but also an alarming realization. A women was being interviewed about Bush's second run for office, to where she said, and I quote "I don't know that much about politics, but I'll vote for President Bush because of his faith." So, where exactly do we draw that religious line? Perhaps I'm naive, but when is it that we accept that everyone has their own opinion, their own religion, their own view and it shouldn't always revolve around the general conscientious, as far as I'm concerned to many have died over certain beliefs... to much hate is spread in the name of... when do we realize that yeah, some of this, is pretty ridiculous.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this documentary, as well. especially his journey to the vatican and being put on the "catholic shit list."

Anonymous said...

I like Bill Maher. This is a documentary I want to see. I love this kind of thinking!!!! Is this film readily available at DVD rental places?

Anonymous said...

oh maher, crazy crazy man
hilarous docum.

^i dont believe you can get it anywhere just yet, i got it trough netflicks, just depends where you are i guess, try a library