Saturday, November 22, 2008

Coldplay -A Rush Of Blood To My Head

I should start out by saying I've been waiting for this concert for months, but the many sleepless nights I endured we're well worth it.

I arrived at the Delta Center (yes I refuse to call it anything else) in SLC, already shaking from my excitement, or the fact I almost hit 3 cars speeding to the venue, but none the less, shaking. I arrive in the box suite, which I was lucky enough to get for this milestone in my life. Those suites give you a complete ego trip, I yelled I am a golden god, several times to innocent bystanders below me and I almost called room service, not because I needed anything, mostly just because.... needless to say the people I was with think I've lost it.
The first band up, was a band called SleeperCar from Texas, I'll admit, I subconsciously like the first acts to hurry up and go, unless I know them, but this band was really excellent, the singer definitely had a voice and their rendition of Wild Horses by The Rolling Stones had me cheering for them.

Next up was a guy by the name of Jon Hopkins, he definitely was something else, I kid you not, his set was the closest thing I will ever come to an acid trip, there were several questioning looks from the crowd, like who slipped us something? He played a piano hooked up to several synths (I'm not instrument savvy when it comes to things that need more than 3 cables) however, something you might throw into the giant, not-easily-categorized, genre that is Electronica, but he played one song for 30 minutes straight, with a video playing in the background of repetitive bright, flashing colors, morphing shapes, and crazy dancing animals, it was extremely memorizing and altogether really good, quite original, the guy has talent. I just think it confused most the middle aged, soccer moms, in the crowd.

Finally! We come to the most anticipated event of the evening and the reason for my sudden urge to write, Coldplay ladies and gentlemen... Coldplay has always been a favorite, but to see them live, is awe-inspiring, if there ever was such a universal band with their honest words and unbelievable songs, it was Coldplay. The stage was huge, special made so that Chris Martin could run around as he pleased, decorated with pictures from their album Viva La Vida, and monitors to display images, live, from the concert. They started out with Violet Hill, as the crowd erupted into clapping and yelling, and from that point they hook you, I don't think I took my eyes off that stage for one second, they went from song to song, fluctuating from their Album Parachutes all the way through Viva La Vida, playing some of my favorites like Fix You and The Scientist, even at one point running into the nosebleeds and playing a song right in the crowd. Chris Martin definitely has the most incredible stage presence, his voice truly captivates you and sends you to that dream world that reminds you of the wonderful things in this world, he uses the entire stage like his personal playground, jumping and flailing his arms around, and he plays that piano like that's all he was made for. Truthfully I don't think this concert should have ever ended, I was fully planning on staying there forever, but when they reached their final song and exited, the predicated "ONE MORE SONG!" understanding was met, when they returned one last time to play, what else? Yellow.
If there is ever something to do before you take that final breath on this Earth, it is go see Coldplay live.

Chris Martin, you can sing me to sleep anytime.

4 comments:

RICH, POOR AND SELF-DESTROYED said...

Interesting, I love your blog. Feel free to visit mine anytime but dont forget to leave your views and opinions.

Lauralee said...

I was at that concert last night as well.My friend was lucky enough to get a set list. She was on the floor, I wasn't but it was still an amazing concert! I wish it never ended too!

The second guy who played was John Hopkins

Funny how I was just searching random blogs for this, but I actually recognize you from the Solid Ground.

Cami said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cami said...

yes! thank you, JON HOPKINS! i had no idea when he first played and it was truly getting me